Based on a recipe by Nigella Lawson
- 350g strong white bread flour
- 150g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 1 x 7g sachet Alinson’s easy bake yeast
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 65ml old plain yoghurt
- 60ml milk
- 150ml cold water
- 100ml boiling water
- tbsp soft unsalted butter
- vegetable oil for kneading
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the yoghurt, milk, water, and butter in a measuring jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Mix with your hands into a ball of dough.
- Repeat three times:
- Cover with cling film and leave for 10 minutes;
- Gently knead the dough on an oiled surface for 10 seconds;
- Return the dough to the bowl.
- Leave for an hour.
- Butter the base and sides of traditional 2lb loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Pat out the dough to about 2cm thick, roll it up tightly like a scroll and squish it seam-edge down into the tin.
- Place in the oven on proving mode and leave to rise for 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven to bread baking mode (200C), and dust the top with flour.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the tin, and place on a wire rack to cool.