- 1lb/500g beef (cubed fillet steak or whatever)
- 2 tbsps of oil
- 30g tin of anchovies
- 1 whole dried chile ancho
- 2 medium onions or 3 small onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 or 2 hot green chilli peppers chopped
- Seasonal vegetable – like half a romano pepper, half a carrot, or mushrooms
- 2 tbsps of cumin seeds ground
- 1 tbsp of chilli powder
- 1 tbsp of grated cocoa
- ½ teaspoon of hot paprika
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- ¼ pint/150ml beef stock
- 1 tsp of agave syrup
- Bay leaf
- ½ tsp of oregano
- 1 tin of black beans (or red kidney beans)
- Wipe clean the chile ancho and remove the stem and seeds.
- Open out flat and briefly dry roast in a pan on a medium heat until fragrant, then soak in just boiled water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and blend to a paste with a splash of water – use the remaining water to make stock.
- Fry the anchovies, onions and garlic for a few minutes until tender.
- Add the fresh chilli peppers (and any other veg) and fry for another minute.
- Add the spices and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the meat and stir until all the meat is browned and coated in the spices.
- Add the tomato, stock, agave syrup and herbs.
- Reduce heat and simmer for half an hour or so (at least).
- Add the beans and simmer for a further half an hour.
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 512.8
- Total Fat: 26.4 g
- Cholesterol: 17.7 mg
- Sodium: 715.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9.8 g
- Protein: 35.4 g
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: