- 3 shallots
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 dried chilis
- 3 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 fresh chili
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Lemongrass paste
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Juice of a lime
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Roast shallots 180C for 10 mins – add garlic and continue roasting for 10 mins.
- Lightly toast the dried chilis (I used Ancho or Guauilla & Mulato).
- Rinse the dried shitake mushrooms.
- Rehydrate the dried chilis and shitake mushrooms by soaking in boiled water for 15 minutes.
- Blend the rehydrated chilis to a fine paste.
- Blend (everything except the oil) to a paste.
- Taste and add sugar or fish sauce.
- Heat the oil a large heavy bottom pan over medium heat.
- Cook the paste, stirring frequently, until it becomes fragrant and turns dark. This can take about 20 minutes.
- Taste one last time and adjust, to taste.