- Whole spices
- 2 ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 2 ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- Ground spices
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- pinch ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (plus more if required)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Heat a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Roast the whole spices until they become fragrant (stop if they start to smoke).
- Remove the spices from the heat, allow to cool then grind to a fine powder and combine with the ground spices.
- In a frying pan, add the spice mixture, garlic, and about 4 tbsp water and stir into a paste.
- Add the oil and cook over a medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the oil separates and the mixture starts to darken a little. One or two minutes should be enough. Add more water if it gets too hot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Spoon the masala into a jar.
- This will keep in the fridge for a few months.
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: