Based on a recipe by Kevin is Cooking
- ½ cup Ancho chili powder or similar
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- freshly smoked chipotle peppers
- Add the chile powder to blender and carefully pour in 1 ½ cups boiling water.
- Cover with lid to steep while you get the other ingredients together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the oil and smoked peppers.
- Process to a smooth purée, about the consistency of BBQ sauce. If needed, thin with water.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Pour in the chili purée and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Add the smoked peppers and simmer for another 10 minutes.