- 1 red onion
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp whole fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp chili Powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp whole black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 fresh red chili pepper
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Remove the outer layer of skin from the onion and cut in half.
- Place the onion halves cut side down in a roasting tin smeared with a little oil.
- Roast the onions for 20 mins at 180C fan.
- Dry roast the whole spices and grind to a fine powder.
- Combine the ground spices in a bowl with the vinegar, salt and agave syrup.
- Cover and set aside.
- When the onions are finished roasting and are nicely caramelised, remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Squeeze the onion flesh from the skin and blend to a paste with a fresh chili pepper and a little water
- Add this to the spice and vinegar mixture
- Heat the oil a large heavy bottom pan over medium heat.
- Cook the paste, stirring frequently, until it becomes fragrant and turns dark, 8 to 10 minutes. Add a splash of water if it starts to burn or a little more oil if it starts to stick.
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: